Probation VS Parole: What’s the Difference
Probation is a supervision period that is ordered by the court to supervise an offender while living in the community instead of serving in prison. Probation enables a person (who has been convicted of a crime) to remain working in the community and not go to jail. It requires this person to comply with specific rules and conditions ordered by the court and should be under the probation officer’s supervision.
In certain jurisdictions, the term probation only applies to the community sentences which are alternatives to incarceration, like the suspended sentences. In others, however, the term is inclusive of the act of supervising the individuals who are conditionally released on parole.
The persons released on probation must not own firearms and may be ordered by the court to participate in educational programs or remain employed. They may also be required to abide by the imposed curfews, obey probation officers’ orders, and never leave town. These persons may also be ordered to refrain from meeting up with known criminals, especially co-defendants. They must not be in contact with potential victims of similar crimes. For instance, they are not allowed near minors (child sexual abuse offenses) or to be in contact with the victim (domestic violence offenses).
Offenders are also asked to refrain from possessing or using drugs and alcohol and ordered to take or submit drug/alcohol tests. They may also be fitted with a monitor or an electronic tag that indicates their movement patterns to the relevant officials. Defendants are permitted by some courts to perform limited forms of community service to help them raise money to offset their probation fines.
Probation will also bridge the gap between the community and the offender. It speeds up acceptance now that the offender is seen around making a positive difference in his life and positively impacting society. Isolation from the wrong crowd will help the offender to view life from a different perspective. Similarly, the educational or rehabilitation programs he engages in will change his lifestyle and perception while bringing out positivity in terms of attitude and state of mind.
Parole and probation are quite similar since both are concerned with the offender dropping bad behavior or habits that led them to break the law. Both parole and probation contain a strong aspect of rehabilitation, and each process provides extra measures to help protect the community.
Parole or probation can be changed or amended depending on the intensity or nature of the offense. For instance, an offender convicted of child molestation may be ordered never to visit playgrounds or parks where children frequent.
The primary purpose of placing an offender on probation is to prevent further criminal behavior, provide rehabilitation opportunities for the offender, and to punish the offender in general. Parole possesses an additional function, which is to aid in the reintegration of an offender into the society.
How To Become a Law Enforcement Officer
Starting up a career is one of the biggest challenges anyone can undertake. It is one of life’s biggest moments so it is important that we have a good startup because it will determine most of our life course. However, we need not be overly anxious because we are never alone in this uphill battle. There are available resources where we can fetch ideas from so we come fully equipped as we face this phase in our lives. One of the most popular careers considered by not not only fresh university graduates but also by those who are contemplating having a change in career, is law enforcement.
In each country, there are different requirements on how you can become a police officer. In the United States, a high school diploma is enough to give you entry to one of the specialized training that the government is offering for those who are willing to keep law and order in the country. However, those who have earned a bachelor’s degree and other diploma are also welcome to join the force. To many, this is one of the noblest jobs that anyone could take because it is self-sacrificing and it is about serving the community while giving most of yourself and your time to this kind of job. Aside from good pay and other open doors of career opportunities, this kind of career has a lot more to offer. So, what does it take to become one of the law enforcement officers?
How to Become a Law Enforcement Officer
- Meet the Basic Requirements
Any applicant should have completed high school and obtained a diploma or an equivalent General Educational Development certificate. As mentioned above, even if a bachelor’s degree is not mandatory, there is still a possibility that companies would prefer applicants with this kind of credibility. It is just a plus point but never the only requirement. The applicants should also be either 18 years old or 21 years old.
- Take The Entrance Exam for the Law Enforcement
To be formally welcomed to the Academy, an applicant should pass the entrance exam given. The academy might have additional entrance qualifications to make sure you deserve to be there, and you’ve got what it takes to become a police officer.
- Accomplish the Law Enforcement Curriculum in the Academy
The training to become an officer can take up to six months that include different kinds of training. There is a physical conditioning training that prepares your body for the battlefield, firearm handling training, search and seizure among others. There is also a thorough discussion of law and statutes that any police officer should be familiar with.
Those are just three of the first steps in becoming a Law enforcement officer. When you are on the job itself, you would eventually realize that there is still a lot more to learn about it. Learning and earning experience never stops. Starting a career in this profession is one story, and building on it is another.
Understanding How Bail Bonds Work in Memphis Tennessee
Bail is the release of an accused person while waiting for a court hearing. The bail bond is bail money paid by a bail bond company to secure the temporary release of the criminal. Although bail and bail bonds have similar objectives, they are different. The disparity is brought about by the difference in the source of money. If you or someone you know has ever needed a Memphis Tn Bail Bonds, here is how it works.
How Bail Bonds Work
First, the judge sets the bail amount. If the defendant cannot pay the amount required, he can request the services of a bail bondsman. He will pay a 10% fee plus collateral, which must be of the same worth or value as the remaining bail amount (90%). If the defendant shows up in the court hearing, the bail bond will be lifted, and the bail bondsman will retain the 10% as profit. If the defendant fails to appear in court on the set date, the court will require payment for the remaining 90% of the bail. At this point, the bail bondsman will use the collateral from the defendant to pay the remaining bail amount.
Types of Bail Bonds
There are different types of bail bonds, and these are explained in detail below:
1. Immigration Bail Bond
This type is used by people who are not US citizens. Because of the insufficient legal information of the defendant, An experienced bail bondsman should be hired for the job so you can identify the best bail bond for your situation.
2. Property Bail Bond
Most countries do not accept this type of bond. However, it is allowed in California. In this case, full privileges of the property must be granted as collateral. Property bonds usually take longer to secure because the court needs time to evaluate the value of the property.
3. Federal Bail Bond
Federal bonds are applicable for criminals who commit federal offenses. One unique attribute of this type of bond is that it does not involve a bail bondsman. The bail transactions are done directly in the court, and you can pay using property or cash.
4. Surety Bail Bond
The surety bond helps you get out of court even if you do not have the bail amount. The bond usually involves a bail bondsman guaranteeing that they will be the one to pay the bail if the defendant fails to appear in court. The bail bondsman receives 10% of the bail amount from the defendant who promises to show up in court on the expected date.
5. Cash Bail
The bail is paid in cash. Any bond can be paid in cash. Many courts usually refuse to accept other forms of payment for this type of bail. The court often sets an excessively high amount to make it impossible or difficult for high-profile criminals to pay so that they do not flee the country.
6. Citation Release
This bond is issued when the arresting officer fails to take the suspect to court or when suspects engage in minor crimes such as violation of traffic rules.
Acquiring bail bonds is advantageous for the defendant. First, these are cheaper since the defendant does not need to pay the full bail amount. Second, it is more convenient and less stressful since the bail bondsmen will take care of the paperwork. All you need to do is appear on the scheduled court date.
In conclusion, understanding the bail process and how bail bonds work is essential in ensuring that you select the best type of bail bond suitable for your situation. However, to get a hassle-free bail bonding experience, you must choose the best bail bonds company.
Welcome To Memphis Sport
Welcome to the Memphis Sport website. Our goal is to make this site fun and informative. Please check back soon as we will be uploading new content that we hop you enjoy. Thanks for checking us out. Memphis has a lot of great sporting events, businesses, and culture. We look forward to sharing all of that with you. See ya soon!